Utility mapping enables planning authorities as well as business to process feasible information into the database and thus allows generation of reports. The results derived through these reports are useful in future planning and application.Automated Mapping & Facilities Management (AM/FM)
An important application of GIS comes in the effective management of public utilities like electricity, water, gas connection networks and telecommunication systems. The integration of digital orthophotography with automated mapping/facilities management (AM/FM) systems has revolutionized how utilities collect and utilize accurate land-base data. AM/FM are an integration of two most influential and totally organized application systems. These are basically differentiated on the basis of utility and urban (and semi-urban) facilities management. Automated mapping provides better digital map maintenance without any content destruction whereas Facilities Management System is capable of sorting, manipulating, processing and reporting data and it even generates a digital representation of the network. Together, both of them combine with GIS to provide an innovative outlook for Facilities Management System.
R2V Services provides complete and accurate landbase mapping solutions which can support detailed planning, and are therefore very important to the providers of any public utility especially, in the cases where area of operation covers thousands of square kilometers.
These tools are effective in the following realms of operation:-
- Land Management
- Ground Water Modeling
- Marketing-&-Sales to Target Retail Business
- Forest, Habitat and Species Management
- Telecommunication, Logistics, transport and media services
- Medical Emergency Service Management
- Crops & Vegetation Mapping and Analysis
- Education and research
- Disaster Management in case of man-made and natural disasters
- Law enforcement/Military defense and security measures
This process, in a nutshell, one can safely say, even eliminates the use of manual filing systems and map consolidation that in turn increases the velocity of reports for sophisticated infrastructure. This is a breakthrough in the sphere of science and technology.
So the benefits of utility mapping can be tabulated as follows;
- Reduces the chances of mismanagement of maps; maps won't deteriorate, misfiled or get lost
- Minimizes the cost of maintenance of filing and cabinets
- Data accessible at a single click, user-friendly and totally secure
- Minimal chances of duplication between departments
- Provides a consistent and shared pool of information
- Study of maintained and processed data ensures enhancements in new projects
- Systematically stored data
- Flexible options for analysis
- Provides solutions to sophisticated spatial queries
The information requires consistent updates based on digitization of realms of infrastructure and maps and this should be of high quality, since these are used for defining future trends.